Sunday 4 November 2012

Diary of a Football Coach - Managerial Debut


Today finally saw my managerial début. I'm not going to lie; it wasn't quite as I’d imagined it over the years. No one in the terraces was chanting my name. In fact, there were no terraces, just a primary school on a very cold Sunday morning. I never thought I’d be managing a Kippax Athletic team at my age. I thought I’d have to wait until I was a dad before I could do this.

After years of playing Football Manager and FIFA I was finally able to live out my dream. It’s something I've wanted to do for a number of years now and I'm so glad my good friend Danny Hall offered me this opportunity. Aidrian Boothroyd said that he knew he wanted to be a coach when he realised he was a crap player and I am very much the same.

I realised long ago that I have very limited talents on the football pitch but always considered myself to be able to read a game quite well. It’s a bit like having the extra yard in Teddy Sheringham’s head without any of the ability to do anything about it.

I'm hoping that this will be a long term thing as I’d quite like to be able to see how this group of kids develop and if any of them can go on to play at a higher level. At 6 and 7 it’s very difficult to tell where they might end up. I've seen one or two that have a natural ability for playing that many others don’t possess but you just can’t say how they will be when they’re 11 in terms of both ability and physically.

Today was the first time seeing them in a match after working with them a couple of times in training so gave me a great chance to see what they were like under more pressure. I saw a lot of positive things and a couple of things that will need work, but that’s to be expected. Although we lost, there was a lot to be encouraged by and thankfully they didn't look too disheartened afterwards.

I'm really looking forward to the rest of the season with this group of guys (and a girl in goal). Hopefully we can get a few wins under our belts and I can develop my coaching skills as well as the kids skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment